Thursday, July 18, 2013

Blogging Through The Alphabet - R

R is for Rejoicing!

 

Psalm 105:3 "Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD."

Rejoicing is something that doesn't always come naturally to us. Often, our default setting is to complain, mope, feel bad, wallow in self-pity, or think about how much better things could be, rather than take inventory of all the blessings we have. If rejoicing were not so vital to our mental health, I don't think God would have mentioned it 183 times in the Bible!! Can you imagine? If God said it once, it's important....but 183 times??

Many of those verses are direct commands to rejoice, such as:
  • Deuteronomy 26:11a "And thou shalt rejoice in every good thing which the LORD thy God hath given unto thee,"
  • Psalm 5:11 "But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee"
  • Psalm 33:1  "Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright."
Some verses are records of God's people rejoicing, while others actually give specific times when we should rejoice:
  • When God helps us through a trial: Psalm 63:7  "Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice"
  • All day long: Psalm 89:16 "In thy name shall they rejoice all the day:"
  • All our life: Psalm 90:14 "O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days."
  • Today!: Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."
  • When reading our Bible (daily devotions): Psalm 119:162 "I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil."
  • When our children do right: Proverbs 23:15 "My son, if thine heart be wise, my heart shall rejoice, even mine." and Proverbs 23:24 "The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise child shall have joy of him."
  • When we have righteous leaders: Proverbs 29:2a "When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice:"
  • Look forward to rejoicing in our older years: Proverbs 31:25 "Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come."
  • When we're young: Ecclesiastes 11:9 "Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth;"
  • When we see God do great things in our life: Luke 19:37b "the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen;"
  • When those around us are blessed and rejoicing: Romans 12:15a "Rejoice with them that do rejoice"
  • At the end of our life: Philippians 2:16 "Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain."
  • When all is said and done: Philippians 3:1 "Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord."
  • Always: Philippians 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice."
  • From this day forward: 1Thesalonians 5:16 "Rejoice evermore."
  • In suffering: 1Peter 4:13 "But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."
  • When we see Jesus: Revelation 19:7 "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready."
One particular instance that we don't usually think about rejoicing is during trials. How can one rejoice during a trial? Sometimes life beats us up and shows no mercy. Knowing that God is present and helping through the trial is a great cause for rejoicing.

Psalm 31:7 "I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;"

When I look back at some of the lowest valleys in my life, I can plainly see that those were the times that I drew nearest to God and He was a help. Those spots on my journeys are markers of the grace of God in my life. While rejoicing was not my greatest character trait during those times, I can say that I do rejoice that I have been able to experience the closeness and presence of God, and that I can look back and see His hand on me.

May we continue to grow in the grace of God, and may rejoicing always be in my heart and on the tip of my tongue!

Psalm 13:5 "But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation."



Read Part 2 - How To Rejoice

Copyright 2012-2013 - "Be The One" - www.aclassofone.blogspot.com  All rights are reserved. No text, photos, or content may be reproduced without direct permission from the author.

This post is linked with "Blogging Through The Alphabet"  at "Ben and Me" and with "Titus 2sDays" at Time Warp Wife.

Blogging Through the Alphabet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!